What is anti-aging medicine?
Anti-aging medicine is a scientific medical specialty that focuses on the early detection, prevention, treatment, and reversal of aging-related dysfunction, disorders and diseases. The anti-aging medical model aims to extend and prolong the length of time we are able to live productively and independently.
Numerous scientific research studies have proved that modest interventions in diet, exercise and nutrition can have significant benefits on your health as you age. Not surprisingly, people worldwide are looking for medically proven ways to stay healthy and active well into their older years.
At our clinic, our doctors use state-of-the-art biomedical technologies in advanced preventive care. These include preventive screenings, early disease detection, aggressive intervention and optimal nutrition. They focus on two levels of anti-aging medicine, namely internal and external, which are the cornerstones of the anti-aging medical model.
Internal Level: Ensuring that your body is able to function at optimal levels is important for both your mental and physical health. After an assessment, an anti-aging doctor may prescribe specific medicine to help maintain hormonal balance. He will also ensure your body has an adequate intake of quality micronutrients (vitamins, minerals, trace elements, essential fatty acids), which are essential for the functioning of every cell in our body.
External Level: This entails taking active steps as early as possible on outward signs of aging (wrinkles, dehydration, flaccidity, cellulite deposits and brown spots). Our clinic specializes in a variety of esthetic anti-aging treatments. These include chemical peels, Mesolift wrinkle fillers, hyaluronic acid injections, botulinum toxin (Botox), LED lamp, lamp flash, intense pulsed light (IPL) and laser therapies.
How to get the most from anti-aging medicine
The anti-aging medical approach also focuses on aspects of preventive medicine, which means adopting a healthy lifestyle at an early age. From age 40, doctors use anti-aging medicine to evaluate a patient’s individual risk factors for premature aging, so they can implement strategies to preserve health.
Steps you can take from a young age and in adolescence to minimize aging include:
- Maintaining a healthy weight and avoiding serious diseases related to obesity;
- Always keeping the skin well moisturized;
- Minimizing exposure to harmful ultraviolet rays by using high sun protection factor (SPF) sunscreen products and avoiding sun exposure and tanning beds throughout your life;
- In adolescence, eating a balanced diet which is appropriate to fulfil the needs of your growing body;
- Avoiding alcohol and tobacco;
- Staying active with regular exercise.
Anti-aging measures to take from ages 30 to 35 years
- As hormonal secretions slow down, they impact the body in various ways, including weight, skin quality and mood;
- Make sure you eat a balanced diet with plenty of food variety;
- Engage in regular sports activity to counteract the harmful effects of physical inactivity;
- Mesolift treatments and anti-aging creams are important to moisturize the skin;
- Fruit acid skin peels performed by an anti-aging doctor can help to stimulate cell regeneration and retain the skin’s youthful glow;
- Treatments that use a photo modulation LED lamp are advisable at this age. They stimulate the cells to produce new collagen and keep skin rejuvenated;
- Hyaluronic acid filler injections effectively fill small lines and wrinkles that start to appear around the eyes and mouth area.
- Kaplan MS, Huguet N, Orpana H, Feeny D, McFarland BH, Ross N. “Prevalence and factors associated with thriving in older adulthood: a 10-year population-based study.” J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2008 Oct; 63(10):1097-104.