WHAT IS CRYOLIPOLYSIS?
Cryolipolysis is a safe non-invasive medical procedure that uses controlled cooling technology to target and gently destroy localized fat cells in specific treatment areas.
This pioneering cooling method was developed by scientists at Massachusetts General Hospital’s Wellman Center for Photomedicine, which is an educational partner of Harvard Medical School.
Described as a nonsurgical alternative to liposuction,Cryolipolysis is especially suitable for improving body contours by treating localized fat deposits.
These include the waist, back, arms, stomach, ‘love handles’ on the sides of the torso and bulging ‘saddlebags’ on the thighs.
Cryolipolysis is the first non-invasive fat reduction technology to obtain clearance from the American Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The FDA approved the procedure in September 2010.
HOW IT WORKS:
Cryolipolysis is based on the principle that precisely controlled cooling of localized fat cells under the skin (subcutaneous fat) causes cell death, yet does not damage surrounding tissue or skin.
Using a device with two independently controlled suction and cooling heads; Cryolipolysis treats selected localized treatment areas in the following way:
• The suction head creates a vacuum. This temporally reduces blood flow to the treatment area to immobilize the fat tissue and isolate it from surrounding tissue.
• The cooling head then applies low temperature to the skin to ‘freeze’ (crystallize) the localized area for a specified period of time. After this, the treated fat cells die.
• Once the cooling procedure is completed, the fat cells are released into the lymphatic system. Over a few months, the body dissolves and eliminates the dead fat cells naturally through its own metabolic processes.
WHY IT CAN HELP YOU:
Cryolipolysis is a safe, non surgical procedure that effectively targets specific localized fat bulges and eliminates fat cells. It uses a gradual process that does not harm surrounding tissue.
It is non-invasive and offers noticeable, yet natural looking results.
WHAT RESULTS TO EXPECT :
Results are noticeable two days after the procedure, but it can take anything from four to 12 weeks to see the final results.
This is confirmed by researchers at the University of California and Massachusetts General Hospital who undertook a comprehensive literature review linked to Cryolipolysis. They found that the decrease in fat thickness occurs gradually over the first three months following treatment.
The researchers also found that a single Cryolipolysis treatment can result in a reduction of up to 50% of the subcutaneous fat layer beneath the skin.
KEY FEATURES AND BENEFITS:
• Cryolipolysis is suitable for skin types, regardless of age and gender
• Unlike traditional invasive surgical procedures, the procedure is non-invasive – no needles, surgical incisions or anesthesia
• Minimal discomfort during the procedure, which can last between one and three hours
• No recovery time – most patients typically resume their normal daily activities on the same day of the procedure
• Safe, effective way to eliminate stubborn localized fat
• Clinically proven and noticeable lasting results.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
You may experience some local bruising, redness or temporary numbness of the treated skin.
These usually disappear within a few days.